Tips to LSAT Success

Are you an aspiring lawyer? Do you want to attend law school to receive a prestigious Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree and to embark on a legal career to help enact change and make a meaningful difference in society? Great!

The first step in joining the legal profession is to take the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) to gain admission to law school.

The LSAT is a test designed to assess your critical reading, logical reasoning, and analytical skills. The test is a total of 3 hours and 30 minutes (broken down into six sections each 35 minutes long with a 15-minute break). Many law schools make this test a requirement for admission.

So, what’s the best way to prepare?

As with other standardized tests, practice, practice, practice!

1. Understand the test. The key to succeeding and doing well is to understand what each section of the test is asking you. The reading comprehension portion is worth 27% of your total score, the logic games 23% and the logical reasoning is 50%. There is also an LSAT experimental section that will not count towards your score and an unscored writing section.

2. Practice using old exams. The LSAC (governing body) releases previously administered exams that are available through purchase. These old exams are a wonderful resource to understand the LSAT test structure, see real examples, and understand explanations.

3. Personalized tutoring. This is where we come in. Supplement your preparation with a tutor who will work with you to help you hone your skills and work on your weak areas. We all learn differently and a personalized tutor will help you figure out how to raise your score.

Online tutoring is currently available with OWLY Tutoring. Tutors are also available to help with other aspects of the law school admission process such as compiling a list of schools, filling out applications, personal statement editing, and other needs.